Wednesday, June 21, 2017

Homemade Cauliflower Rice

They say that necessity is the mother of invention and I have to agree. I have been subbing out rice in my low-carb cooking with riced cauliflower from Sam's Club so recently when I went by there to get some, they had none. Needless to say I was pretty panicked as I was cooking for several friends who are doing low-carb and they were expecting the LC version of homemade chicken & rice and I was about to fail to deliver.

I went online and started looking for ways to make riced cauliflower from scratch myself and there were tons of recipes. I have yet to try a recipe of the Pioneer Woman and have been a long-time follower of her blog from the days BEFORE she was on the Food Network so I clicked on her recipe first.

I'm glad I did. I ended up making the oven roasted version and it was delicious.  I used rosemary sea salt, black pepper and a garlic parsley blend of spices and olive oil as opposed to her suggestion of spices and avocado oil.

I tried to rice the cauliflower 3 ways and by far the food processor version was best. First I tried the magic bullet. It riced the CF into a pulp almost. Then I tried chopping it by hand, which was better than the magic bullet but time-consuming, messy and tiring. Last but not least was the food processor. I pulsed it and kept it a rough chop to maintain some bulk to it and it came out great.

After ricing, I spread the cauliflower out in a pan and mixed it with the spices and some olive oil, stirring well. I spread it out again and roasted it for 30min. at 425 degrees, stopping every ten minutes to stir it up.

Here are some pics:

Just finished roasting:






 Up close shot of plain roasted cauliflower


 Mixed together as chicken and cauliflower rice:
















And here is a link to the original recipe:


Cauliflower Rice--Original Recipe

Five stars--will be making again! And will be using roasted cauliflower rice for chicken and sausage gumbo, too!

No comments:

Post a Comment