Tuesday, August 12, 2014

Real Talk, Sometimes You Just Got To Have It!

Last May [2013] I got real serious about getting healthy and lost 30lbs from May to August. I sort of lost my way after that, even though I knew what I needed to do. For reasons I am unable to pin down, I simply would not or could not get back on track.

Today a dear friend of mine asked me what I did that summer that contributed to my success at that time. 

Without hesitation I told her that I went to the gym every single day, I stopped napping, even on Sundays and because my energy levels went up, I was more active. As the weight began to come off I began to eat better because I wanted to take maximum advantage of the physical progress I was making.

Fast forward a year. I have gained back about 10 of it and should have been pretty close to goal by now. 

What am I doing to contribute to my lack of success?

I rarely go to the gym.

I don't eat healthy.

My lifestyle is very inactive.

My internal dialogue has given up on it.

That's Real Talk. It's hard to look at but a relief to get out there. It's also my 46th birthday, today; and if I don't get on track soon I will live out my latter years in the poorest of health and have no one to blame but myself.

So today I am looking at my words and believing that next year at this time I will be writing about how much changed this year and what better health I am in.

^See that? That would be change one: my internal dialogue.

It's a start.

Comments are always welcome. 

Here's to our health,

Robin






2 comments:

  1. The struggle is REAL girl! I too have the same problem. It comes and goes in seasons. One season, I'm doing great, next season, it's gets put off until I finish a project. I am still trying to figure out how to incorporate health into all seasons and distractions of life. But I do know this: it is not easy and like Christianity, it's a commitment. Speaking of Christianity, I asked myself just this morning, "How is it that Christianity remains a constant in my life throughout the seasons and yet health has not?" As I pondered upon that question I came to realize that faith applies in every situation. Which keeps it active...for the most part anyway! LOL I don't focus on the "big picture" as much as the small applications in my daily life. I have learned that it's the small everyday things that lead to big results. When I am losing weight, the focus is usually on the "big picture". It's a project in itself to keep up with calories, progress toward goal, worry if I am losing weight or not, what foods to eat and not eat, planning every meal, and just the thought of taking time out to exercise is exhausting! It's no wonder it gets put on the back burner when a different season comes.There is SO much information out there that little every day changes becomes my every thought not leaving room for seasons of life, passions, or distractions. What I have recently started doing is "little things" like switching to turkey bacon instead of regular bacon, keep white carbs to a minimum, choose "clean" food when the choice is available, and don't sweat it if I eat a cheeseburger for Pete's sake! Sometimes you gotta do what ya gotta do! I just omit something like fries, choose a smaller version of what it is that I want to eat. I don't have it down all the way, no one ever does because every person's body is different. The trick is finding what works for me while leaving room for each season's projects or tasks. So far, it's working out great! Losing slowly, and sometimes maintaining, but still on track. Like scripture, if I take in too much at one time, its not as effective as when I take little bites and apply it one day at the time, and not all at one time!

    ReplyDelete