Sunday, August 17, 2014

RECIPE REVIEW: Pistachio, Pumpkin Chocolate Muffins



Made these for a get together at my house last night. I am not a fan of pistachios so I think I will up the sugar free chocolate a little and use walnuts next time. Also think it would rock with some sugar free cream cheese icing.


Almond flour is a bit pricey but if you are only baking for special get-togethers or occasions then it is worth it to have something so tasty that non low carbers are eating them.


Here is the recipe with my tweaks, the link to the original site is at the bottom




  • 1 1/2 Cups Honeyville Almond Flour
  •  [I used Bobs Red Mill]

  • 1/2 Cup Pumpkin Puree
  •  (I used store brand. Remember, pumpkin, not pumpkin pie filling.)

  • 1/2 Cup Pistachios (Pre-salted)
  •  [Got them at Walmart]

  • 1/2 Cup  Erythritol 
  • [Got it at Olive Leaves Health Food Store]

  • 2 Large Eggs

  • 1/4 Cup Coconut Oil
  •  [Got it at Grocery Outlet on the cheap]

  • 3 ChocoPerfection Dark Bars (or 90%+ Cacao Squares) 
  • [could not find these. Analyzed the picture and saw that they were 10grams each. I subbed 30grams of a Lily's Original stevia sweetened dark chocolate bar, 55% cocoa. They can be found at the cash register at Olive Leaves Health Food Store. They are 85grams each.and cost almost five bucks. Almost enough for 3 batches of muffinss]

  • 2 tsp. Quality Vanilla

  • 1 1/2 tsp. Cinnamon

  • 1/2 tsp. Baking Soda

  • 1/2 tsp. Apple Cider Vinegar

  • 1/2 tsp. Nutmeg
  • 1/2 tsp. Cloves
  • 1/2 tsp. Ginger
  • [I did not have the cloves. I subbed 1/2tsp of pumpkin pie spice. Not the same but hey, ya gotta do what you gotta do!]

  1. Preheat oven to 325F.
  2. In a mixing bowl, combine Almond Flour, Erythritol, Baking Soda, and Spices. Mix well.
  3. In a separate mixing bowl, combine Pumpkin Puree, Large Eggs, Coconut Oil, Vanilla, and Apple Cider Vinegar. Mix well.
  4. Stir the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients, starting off by pouring only 1/2 of the wet into the dry. Continue mixing until everything is combined.
  5. Chop the ChocoPerfection Bars (or high % cacao squares). Add the chocolate and Pistachios to the batter and fold them in.
  6. Divide out your batter between 8 Cupcake Liners.
  7. Bake for 25-30 minutes, or until golden brown.

*I baked mine for 27min. per the recipe authors suggestion. They came out great! Wish I had taken pics but I was so busy I forgot. I will get pics of the next batch.

They were sugar free, flour free and I believe gluten free, not that I watch my gluten intake. If you try them let me know what you think.

*They REALLY needed cream cheese frosting.





http://www.ruled.me/pistachio-pumpkin-chocolate-muffins/

No comments:

Post a Comment